Pita Sandwich with homemade Hummus spread is a happy, healthy, quick and delicious sandwich! This is one of my favorites.
- Pocket pita bread – cut into half
- Cheddar cheese slice (optional) – 1
- Hummus – 2 tablespoons (recipe below)
- Alfalfa sprouts – 1/4 cup
- Avocado – 2 slices
- Tomato – 2 slices
- Cucumber 2 slices
- Lettuce – 1 leaf
- Jalapeno (optional) – deseeded, cut – 1-2 small slices
- Olive oil – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garbanzo beans – 2 1/2 cups
- Tahini – 3-4 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic – 4 cloves (roasting is optional)
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as necessary (no more than 1/2 cup)
First Make hummus as follows:
- Soak garbanzo beans overnight (or use canned garbanzo beans, for which, no soaking required).
- If using fresh, add some salt and pressure cook until soft.
- Puree the garbanzo beans in a blender, gradually adding, tahini paste (available in most grocery stores), peeled garlic, coriander powder, salt (if needed), lemon juice, and water, one after the other.
- The mixture can be made either very smooth or a little coarse.
- Remove it in a bowl, add olive oil, mix.
Now, assemble the Sandwich:
- Cut the pocket pita bread into half, make pocket and put the cheese slice inside.
- Brush the top of the pita bread with olive oil (optional)
- Heat it for a few minutes in toaster oven, till the cheese starts melting.
- Remove from the toaster, spread hummus, add lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado slices and alfafa sprouts and top it with jalapeño (optional).
- Optionally, if packing for office/school tiffin, can keep the hummus spread and veggies on the side, and put it in sandwich when eating. This keeps the sandwich crisp and fresh.
Makes a very happy, healthy, cute looking sandwich for children’s school tiffin.