Paneer Tikka Masala is a gourmet dish which is simple to cook but very flavorful. Marinated paneer with tomato gravy makes a delightful dish for a formal dinner.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 1/2 pond of paneer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger or ginger juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- 1 green pepper adjust to your taste
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (dagi or kashmiri mirch)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (arrow root)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Slice the paneer in about 1/8 inch thick and about in one inch squares.
- Mix ginger, salt, pepper, coriander, and yogurt with sliced paneer in a bowl, cover it and let the mixture marinate for at least an hour. It is better to have the paneer marinate in a refrigerator.
- Blend tomatoes and green chilies to make a puree and keep aside.
- Dissolve the corn starch in 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside. Corn starch is used to give thickness to gravy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in flat frying pan on medium heat, making sure to oil the entire surface of the pan.
- Next put the marinated paneer in frying pan and gently stir-fry for about 3 to 4 minutes until paneer becomes light brown.
- Take out the paneer in a bowl and use the same frying pan to make the gravy.
- To prepare the gravy, add 1 table spoon of oil in a frying pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida after seeds crack add bay leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, sugar, and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the corn starch mix stir for few minutes till the sauce thickens.
- Add the stir-fry paneer in the tomato gravy and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes on low medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and add cilantro and garam masala stir slowly and cover the pan for few minutes.
- Serve hot with your choice of Indian bread or over the rice.