Palak - Spinach Curry
This is a simple spinach curry, cooked with milk and has a delicious unique taste. This was my father’s favorite dish in winter time. A creamy savory dish with mild spices. Serve with Makki ki Roti, or Naan.
- 12 oz spinach washed and remove the stems this should be about 8 cups of packed spinach
- 1 Tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds mathi seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger adrak
- 2 Tbsp green chili chopped, I prefer serrano chili
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp besan gram flour
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato in small pieces
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- In a small bowl, mix the besan with half cup of milk to make a lump free batter and set aside.
- Blend the spinach, ginger and green chilies using about 1/2 cup of milk. Spinach should not be pasty. I prefer to use food processor.
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan over medium high moderately. Add fenugreek seeds, and turmeric. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add the spinach, and milk and turn the heat to medium. Bring spinach to boil. Lower the heat to medium low and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes, stir occasionally, scraping the sides.
- Add besan batter, and salt, and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes, stir occasionally, scraping the sides.
- Spinach curry should be thick batter consistency. Add chopped tomatoes cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- In a small sauce pan heat the ghee over medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seeds crack right away, the oil is ready. Add cumin seeds and turn off the heat and add red chili powder and about 2 tablespoons of water this will prevent spices to burn.
- Pour the seasoning over spinach curry.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!