Nan khatai is an egg-less light and crispy biscuit that’s perfect to serve with tea or coffee.
Recipe makes about 24 Nan khatai.
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (plain flour or maida)
- 1/3 cup fine sooji or semolina
- 1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
- Pinch of baking soda (a little less than 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon green cardamom seed coarsely powder (ilaichi)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sliced almond
- 1 tablespoon sliced pistachio
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degree.
- In a bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, gram flour, sooji, baking soda and cardamom powder and set aside.
- Let the butter come to the room temperature (butter should be soft not melted)
- Add butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat for two to three minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mix to butter and sugar mixture and knead them together to make smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into about 24 equal parts and make them into balls.
- Press each ball between your palms lightly; every piece should be about 3/4″ in thickness.
- With a sharp knife softly draw a tic-tac-toe design on the top and put few pieces of almonds and pistachios and press them into the dough gently.
- Put Nan khatai on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 13 to 15 minutes or until Nan khatai are lightly gold brown.
- After they are lightly golden brown remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Let the Nan Khatais cool down for two to three minutes before taking them off the cookie sheet.
This is an easy recipe. What do you think?
Nan khatai make a great homemade gift for holidays. Your friends and relatives will love it.