Seviyan in English known as Vermicelli they are like thin spaghetti and used many different ways, making sweet and savory dishes. Meethi Seviyan is a delicious and quick dessert. This is made for many festive occasions, also can be served for breakfast.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 1 cup seviyan/vermicelli broken in small pieces
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter or ghee
- 1-3/4 cups water
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds and pistachios
- 4 cardamoms shelled and crushed
- Few strings of saffron
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add vermicelli and stir fry until golden brown this should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water and salt. Increase the heat to medium high and bring it to boil. After watering is boiling reduce the heat to low medium and cover the pan
- Cook till vermicelli’s are soft and the water is absorbed but not dry. If vermicelli gets dry it will become hard after adding sugar, add 1-2 spoons of water before adding the sugar.
- Add sugar, raisins, cardamoms, crushed saffron, almonds and pistachios (save some almonds and pistachios for garnishing). Mix it well and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve Meethi Seviyan warm, garnish with pistachios and almonds.