I typically don’t do restaurant reviews but with this new Indian restaurant, Masala Street, here in San Diego, I simply had to! I recently had a great evening out with my family – both sons and their families, along with my daughter-in-law’s mother, who is visiting from Jaipur, India. We decided to try out the latest hot spot, Masala Street in the beach front La Jolla area.
The whole experience was wonderful – the ambiance, food, top-notch service and especially the exquisite food presentation. The chef had really gone out of his way to please everyone. My family has many food restrictions – vegetarian, vegan dairy free, some don’t eat peppers, and my husband and I don’t eat onions and garlic. Others in my family love hot and spicy food. With all these restrictions, I was not expecting the food to meet our expectations. I was happily surprised that the restaurant was more than willing to accommodate all of our requests! Yes, I am talking about Chef Saransh and his wife Megha Oberoi!
Chef Saransh explained that his unique menu is based on simple Indian street food with a California twist. These are few dishes we all really enjoyed:
- Quinoa Chaat, was really unique and delicious
- Tacosa (which is a crunchy combinations of a Samosa and Taco)
- Kursi Chaat, (Papdi chaat served over mango roll ups – the presentation is to die for!)
- Spinach with chole (This was a delicious vegan dish prepared especially for us!)
- Khatte Aloo Baingan, and Dal Tadka
- Mango Kufi
- Tira Gulla.
- I loved both of these desserts.
The menu options are endless! This is the restaurant I highly recommend. If you are in San Diego check it out:
915 Pearl St.
La Jolla, CA 92037