Need a simple healthy appetizer that is sure to be enjoyed by all? Try serving my “Masala Paneer Cubes” at your next get together! It is homemade paneer mixed with a variety of spices. Serve with crackers, or fruit plate. Masala paneer can be used for many different ways, like paneer pakoras, paneer paratha.
This recipe will serve 8
- 8 cups milk whole milk
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 black pepper crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon clarified butter, ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, jeera
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely shredded, or paste
- 1 tablespoon green chili seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Boil the milk in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, first wet the pan to ensure the milk will not burn. Stir occasionally.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add the lemon juice gradually and stir gently. The curd will start separating from the whey. Turn off the heat.
- Once the milk fat has separated from the whey, drain the whey using a strainer lined with muslin cloth.
- Wrap the curds in a muslin cloth, rinse under cold water, and squeeze well.
- To test whether enough water has been removed from the paneer, rub a little piece of paneer on your palm with your fingers. After rubbing the paneer 15-20 seconds, you should be able to make a firm, smooth ball.
- In a small frying pan heat the clarified butter (ghee) over medium heat. When ghee is moderately hot add cumin seeds as seeds crack add green chili and ginger, turn off the heat. Stir fry for few seconds and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix the paneer with all the ingredients fried cumin mix, salt, black pepper, chili flakes, black pepper and lemon juice.
- Mix it well, do not knead the paneer. Put the paneer in a flat bowl and press it to spread evenly. Cover it and refrigerate for at least two hours.
For this recipe full fat milk works better otherwise paneer will be too dry.
Do not knead the paneer that will make paneer little chew.