Mango pickle is a spicy and tangy condiment. Almost every Indian household has their own favorite recipes for Mango Pickle. It is a popular condiment adds the extra “oomph” to every meal.
Recipe will make about 12 oz pickle.
- 1 large green mango raw pickling mango/about 2-1/2 cup cubed mango (they are available at Indian and Asian grocery store)
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, adjust to taste (lal mirch)
- 1/4 teaspoons turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tablespoons coriander seeds crushed(dhania)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds crushed(Saunf)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (sabut mathi)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds/kalonji
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or olive oil
- Wash and dry the mango, cut in small cubes with skin.
- In a glass bowl put the mango with salt and mix it well.
- Set aside for about 3-4 hour. Mix and by this time there will be some salt water. Squeeze the mango, and save the water, as we will use later.
- Spread the mango slices over dry surface and let it dry out preferably in sun light for 4-5 hours. Mango slices should be little dry but still moist. Note: Mangoes will reduce in volume.
- Add all the spices to salt water and keep it aside.
- Mix spices, water and oil to mango slices.
- Keep the Mango pickle in glass jar with lid on. Pickle should be ready in 4-7 days. Mango slices are nicely marinated with spices.
Pickle is good for months.
Originally posted 2013-05-27 07:29:46.
35 thoughts on “Mango Pickle (Aam ka Achar)”
hio Manjula, I like your recipe, but no sun here for dry the mango. its wintertime, can i also to put the mango near heating area ? and I had found green unripe mango in supermarket, can I use it also..?
Should we boil the water again before mixing spices
Vinita, you are talking about salt water come out of mango, no you don’t boil that
This is my first attempt at pickling. I was very careful about sterilizing the jar, but on day 2, when I opened the lid to give the pickle its daily stir, I was taken aback by its quasi-alcoholic smell. Is this normal? I tasted a small piece, and it seemed fine, but I wasn’t brave enough to swallow it.
Hi maam my Maid accidently threw the salt water away 🙁 is there anything I could do?
Daniella, add little more salt that will work
I live in Arizona and we have 2 choices of mango, red and yellow. Will any green mango of the red variety work?
Richard has to be cooking mango, check it out in Indian grocery store near you
Maa’m can i boil d water first and then add all sices to it,wil it help to keep the achar good for whole year.And mustard seeds shiuld be whole or in powder form
Sonia, I do not use mustard seeds, and you do not boil the salt water, you don’t use just the water that will spoil the pickle and you must use pickling raw mango.
Hi Manjula Auntie, which Mustard oil do you use for making pickle? All the ones I looked at in Indian store says external use only?
Prachi, I had some oil I got from India, good question later I realize you can not find the right mustard oil here, sorry use olive oil
Can u pls tel me what is nigells seeds/kalonji
Love making pickles.
I have some half ripe mango…..,,can u help with some suggestions please .
I tried your recipe! It came out so good!! My Indian friend, Jincy, makes green mango pickles and brought it to work. I love it on hot rice, soooo good. I’m glad you shared this recipe, because I have been wanting more. Now I can make and have it anytime I want!
Nice pickle, but little c confused abt water part
Hello mam! If we add water to the pickle, will it stay longer??? like we keep it for whole year. and if v keep it on shelf, can v use airtight container? i liked ur recipe. with remaining water it will taste more soury as we get readymade pickle from market.
Hi Manjula, I love your site and recipes – authentic indian written for westerners! I think this recipe is a lactic acid fermentation yes? You say it will keep for months, is that in the fridge or on the shelf?
You can keep this on the shelf
Nice recipe…love pickles
Hi mam..!! i liked your recipes, its very simple.. great job.. good luck..
Don’t you boil the mixture?
You don’t suppose to cook this pickle.
hi manjula, today I m trying to make aam ka achar, I am also confused for remaining water -Prakash chandra bawari
you are mixing the spices with water and putting back to the pickle
You must log in to post a comment.