Mango chutney is a lightly spiced, sweet and sour relish with a chunky texture that makes a perfect condiment.
- 2 raw green cooking mangos peeled and shredded (about 3 cups of shredded mango)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon nigella (onion seeds or kalonji)
- 4 whole dry red chilies
- About 1 tablespoon thinly sliced ginger
- About 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Wash and dry the mangos. Peel the skins off and shred the fruit.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add nigella (kalonji) and whole red chili, stir for few seconds.
- Add raisins and stir for a few seconds. Then add remaining ingredients shredded mango, sliced ginger, chili powder, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- When the mango mix comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn the heat down to low medium.
- Cook for ten minutes, until mangos are tender but not mushy.
- The finished Chutney has a lovely color.
- Cool the chutney and store it in a glass jar.
- Refrigerated, the chutney will last for months.
It is important to get the right mangos for chutney. Cooking mangos are different from the mangos we eat. For best results, the mangos should be very firm. Slices should be white and sour.
Originally posted 2010-04-23 19:42:56.