Chole Bhature is my father’s favorite recipe. It is made with chickpeas, and a delicious fried bread.
Ingredients (for Bhature):
- 3 Cups Refined flour
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt
- 1/2 spoon Baking powder
- Soda bicarbonate a pinch
- Salt 1 spoon
- Oil 2 spoons+ deep fry
Place flour and baking powder, soda bicarbonate and salt in a bowl. Mix well. Mix yogurt to the flour and add about a cup of water and mix gradually to make a soft dough. Add two tablespoons of oil into the dough and cover the dough with a wet cloth. Keep it aside for 4-5 hours for fermenting. Divide dough into sixteen equal portions. Roll them into balls. Grease your palms with a little oil and flatten the balls. Roll out into five-inch diameter. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry the bhaturas on high heat till light brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with chole.
Ingredients (for Chole):
- 1 and half cup chickpeas
- 2 medium sized onions chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4-5 black cardamoms
- 5-6 peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 and half tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 red chillies
- Wash and soak the chole (chickpeas) in enough water over night.
- In a pressure cooker add the chole, enough water, salt and cook for 5-6 whistles. The chole should be soft.
- In a pan, dry roast all the spices on a slow flame.
- Once they are cooled, grind them into a fine powder.
- Now in the pan, add oil. Add the chopped onions. Add the ginger paste.
- Once the raw smell of the disappears, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add a little salt so that the tomato gets cooked fast.
- Add the powdered spices, red chilli powder and green chillies to the onion-ginger-tomato mixture. Sauté for a minute.
- Now add the boiled chole with a little quantity of its broth. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Finally, add the amchur powder.
- Serve with bhature
Father’s Day Note:
I love my papa unconditionally. He is the best man I will ever know. At present what I am is only because of papa. After marriage I realize how much I love my parents.