Chiroti, also known as khaja, this is a crispy sugar coated puri a delicious snack. Chiroti is a traditional Maharashtrian delicacy. I like to make them for holidays like holi and Diwali. This is also kid-friendly snack.
This recipe will make 16-18 and will serve 8.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, maida, plain flour
- 2 tablespoons clarified melted butter, ghee
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup cold water
- We also need 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons of melted clarified butter to make paste
Oil to fry
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds
- In a pan add the water, sugar and cardamom bring it to boil over medium high heat, stir making sure sugar is dissolved. Let it boil till syrup is sticky but not making a thread, on candy thermometer it should be 220 degrees. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix flour with ghee and keep aside. This paste is used to bind the layers of rotis. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt and ghee and mix well. Slowly add enough water to make a smooth yet firm dough. Cover the dough and keep aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough lightly and divide the dough in two equal parts. Roll each dough in thin roti, try to roll in rectangle shape about 9”x12”
- Place one roti on flat surface smear it with ghee and flour paste. Place the another roti over and smear with ghee again. Gently rolled it into a log and cut into 1/2” pieces. This will make about 18 pieces.
- Roll each patty in rounds or in rectangles about 3” to 5”.
- Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. To test, place a small piece of dough into the oil; the oil should sizzle and the dough should rise to surface without changing color.
- Place rolled out chirotis into the oil, without over lapping. Deep fry the chirotis on a medium flame, flipping them gently to cook both sides to light golden brown. Take them out over paper towel, this will absorb the excess oil.
- Dip them in hot syrup, it should be coated from both sides take them out over greased plate. let it dry it should take about three hour.
- Chiroties will be crispy and flakey you can store them in an airtight container and they stay fresh for at least one week to ten days.