Cabbage pickle is a spicy condiment with any meal. This is quick and easy to prepare. Traditionally Indian meals are not complete without pickles / relish.
Will make 2-1/2 cup
- 4 cups cabbage sliced, (patta gobhi, bandh gobhi)
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds coarsely ground, (rai)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds coarsely ground (saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder adjust to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (sarso ka tale) this is my preference but you may use olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together with the cabbage and put in a glass jar. Set the jar in the sun for three to four hours.
- Pickle can be refrigerated for about two weeks.
- Cabbage pickle can also be used as a side dish.
- Use the pickle for sandwiches.