These cupcakes are perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth especially for this festive season! They are called Butterscotch cupcakes and they are delicious! The cakes on their own are light and yummy but when you add the frosting it becomes a delicacy!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of butter milk
- 1/2 cup of clear cream soda
- 1/2 (5oz) package of butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of the butterscotch ganache
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake baking pan with the cupcake liners
- In a small bowl whisk the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and set it aside
- In another bowl cream together the butter and both types of sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy and then mix in the vanilla extract
- For this next step, add the buttermilk to the butter and sugar mixture and combine it well, then add the flour mixture and combine it well, and finally add the cream soda and mix well. Mix until all of the ingredients are combined perfectly. You ca use a spatula to scrape the mix down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way to leave room for them to expand as they bake, and place the tray in the oven for 15-18 minutes until the tops are lightly golden.
To make the ganache:
- Bring a pot of water to a simmering boil and place a heat safe bowl securely over the pot (like a double broiler)
- Place the butterscotch chips and cream in the bowl and mix both together until the butterscotch chips have melted and the mixture is smooth.
- After it has a chance to cool down, place 1/3 cup of the mixture aside in a bowl and put the rest in a squeeze bottle and set it aside as well.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy
- Add the ganache, vanilla and salt to the butter and mix well
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. After all of the sugar is added, frosting will appear dry
- Add the cream one tablespoon at a time until frosting is smooth and creamy.
When the cupcakes have finished baking and have cooled down, fill the frosting mixture into a piping bag, and pipe it onto the cupcakes to make frosting swirls on top. Finally, grab the squeeze bottle of remaining ganache and drizzle it over the frosting to make the dessert look even more beautiful!