Butternut Squash Gnocchi in Coconut Curry Sauce is an Indian-Italian inspired fusion recipe. Italian cuisine is my favorite and this is an Indian twist to a classic Italian soft dumpling – gnocchi. Hope you enjoy!
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 to 2lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 14oz can of coconut milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus a little more to coat surface you are working on)
- 1/2 cup extra firm tofu, pureed
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen/thawed)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium lemon (optional)
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised
- 5 cloves
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbs curry powder
- 4 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Prepare butternut squash: Peel and cut into 1” cubes. Microwave until soft (approx 10m) and then puree in blender. Set aside.
- Make Gnocchi:
- Put 2 cups of flour in center of a flat work surface. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbs olive oil. Mix ingredients together.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Add 2 cups of pureed butternut squash. Slowly incorporate flour beginning with inner rim of the well.
- When flour is incorporated, gather dough into a round ball. Knead mixture until smooth (approx 4-5m).
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into 1” diameter log. Cut this into ½”-long pieces to make gnocchi
- Transfer gnocchi to a baking sheet and cover with damp paper towel.
- Repeat process with rest of the gnocchi dough.
- Bring 6 qt of water to a boil with 3 tsp salt in large pot over high heat. Add gnocchi and boil until they rise to surface of water (approx 3-4 minutes).
- While Step #3 is ongoing, heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 2 tbs olive oil, butter, cardamom, cloves, onion, garlic, and peas. Cook for approx 3 minutes or until onions and garlic lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add ½ tsp salt, chili powder, and curry powder. Stir for a minute.
- Add coconut milk, ½ cup butternut squash puree, and tofu puree. Combine all ingredients for another 2 minutes or so. Then add vegetable stock and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer cooked gnocchi to skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately with freshly squeezed lemon juice as garnish.