Banana Puries are delicious fried Indian puffed bread. Puries have richness of banana flavor enhanced with cardamom. Banana Puries are good for festive occasions and holidays. These can be served for breakfast or as a snack. Puries are especially good for picnic or to take for travel.
This recipe will make about 40.
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed banana (about 8” long banana)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee or butter
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed cardamom powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground almonds about 18 almonds
- Approx ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- Approx ¾ cup all purpose flour
- Oil to fry
- Peel and mash the banana, add the sugar, almond, butter, salt and cardamom mix it well.
- Add whole-wheat flour and all-purpose flour to the banana mix and make a firm and smooth dough. Keep it aside for about 2 hours.
- Grease the fingers and knead the dough for a minute and divide in four equal parts.
- Roll them into 8” diameter and cut them in about 2” diameter, using a cookie cutter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. To check the heat if oil is ready put one piece of dough in oil, dough should sizzle and come up slowly.
- Fry the puries few at a time don’t over crowd the frying pan. Puries will puff and fry them till they are dark brown from all around. It will take about 2 minutes to fry every batch.
- Take them out over paper towel so it can absorb the extra oil.
- Puries are ready.
Notes:This is good recipe for vegan by replacing the butter with oil. Puries can be served hot or eaten at room temperature. Banana Puries can be stored for a week; you don’t need to refrigerate them.