Baklava is a Middle Eastern specialty. Baklava is made in many shapes I decided to make them in rolls. Instead of honey I used sugar to glaze and flavored with cardamom.
Baklava is made using phyllo dough; it is available in frozen section in supermarkets.
Recipe will make 18 pieces
- 6 sheets of phyllo dough (one package weigh 1 pound and have 18 14 x 18 inches sheets)
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 1/2 cup ground almond
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- About 1 tablespoon sliced pistachios for garnish
Be sure to thaw the phyllo dough using the instruction from the package, phyllo dough should be at room temperature before using. Do not open the package until you are ready to use. Unused sheets roll them in clear plastic wrap and refrigerate for next time but do need to be used within 3 to 4 days.
For baking I am using 8×8 baking pan.
- Combine all the dry ingredients, ground almonds, walnuts, coconut, sugar, and cardamom.
Preheat the oven 350 degree F.
Making the Pastry
- Work on a clean, dry, flat surface, Open the phyllo dough and take 1 sheet spread over the working surface and fold it making it double in length wise. Lightly brush the butter covering the whole sheet.
- You will be working with the short side.
- Leave about half inch of sheet across the short side and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the filling from edge to edge evenly. Roll it like a jelly roll twice and brush lightly with butter, only the rolled part.
- Sprinkling again 2 tablespoons of the filling from edge to edge evenly.
- Roll it up carefully, after every roll brush it with butter, and place seam side down in the baking tray.
- Repeat the process until you finish rolling all six sheets.
- The pieces should fit snugly, but not squashed.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the roll into 3 equal pieces in length, total of 18 pieces.
- Lightly brush the butter over each piece.
- Bake the baklava for about 25 to 30 minutes until they are light golden brown in color.
- Boil the sugar and water together until syrup is 220 degrees on candy thermometer or ½ thread. Add the lemon juice and cardamom powder and turn off the heat. Lemon juice keeps the syrup from crystallizing.
- Carefully pour the hot (but not boiling) syrup evenly over all the baklava pieces. Sprinkle few pieces of the sliced pistachios over baklava.
Allow the baklava to cool before serving. Enjoy!