Kulfi is an eggless Indian ice cream. This is a simple and delicious dessert made with milk and sugar. Kulfi is very popular with street vendors, especially in summer. This is an easy recipe to make and Kulfi is an absolute treat for both young and old.
This recipe will make 6-8
- 4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon agar-agar (sea weed works as a vegetarian gelatin)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamoms crushed
- In a heavy bottom pan over medium high heat boil the milk, heavy cream, and sugar together.
- After milk comes to boil lower the heat to medium and let it boil for about 35 minutes, stir the milk occasionally and clean the sides preventing milk not to make a ring on sides. Because of cream, milk does not burn in bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl mix corn starch, agar-agar, and cardamom with 2 spoons of water really well making sure there are no lumps,
- Add to the boiling milk mix it well, boil for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and mix the milk for about a minute.
- Let it cool and pour into the molds, use Kulfi molds, Popsicle molds or small cups. I am using 3 oz plastic cups.
- Freeze for about 5 hours, before Kulfi is ready to serve.
You can flavor Kulfi with saffron or vanilla and add the nuts of your choice.