Chickpea Pulav (Chola Biryani, One Pot Meal)

June 10th, 2013 filed under Gluten Free, Rice, Vegan

This dish is a delicious combination of rice, chickpeas, with vegetables and of course spices. This is a great, hearty, and healthy meal. This is a one dish and one pot meal.

This recipe will serve 3.

Chickpea Pulav (Chole Biryani) Recipe by ManjulaIngredients:

• 1 cup rice (I use basmati rice)
  • 15oz chickpeas/chola/garbanzo/kabule chana canned or cooked
  • 2 tomatoes medium size chopped will make about 1-1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1 potato medium size peeled and cubes bite size pieces will make about 3/4 cup
  • 6 oz spinach chopped frozen or 3 cups of chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 cup bell pepper cubed in bite size pieces
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida/hing
  • 1 bay leafs/tajpat
  • 1 tablespoon ginger finely shredded
  • 1 green chili finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric/haldi
  • 1/2 teaspoon mango powder/amchoor
  • 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1-1/2 cups water

Method

1. Wash and soak the rice in about 2 cups of water at least for 10 minutes.
  2. Drain the liquid out of the can of chickpeas and wash the chickpeas well.
  3. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
  4. Add cumin seeds as seeds crack add the ginger, green chili, and turmeric stir for few seconds.
  5. Add tomatoes and salt cook until tomatoes are tender, about 2 minutes.
  6. Add chickpeas and potatoes after it comes to boil cover the pen and let it cook for about 8 minutes over medium low heat, stir occasionally.
  7. Add rice, spinach, bell pepper and water. Mix and bring it to boil. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 12-15 minutes over low heat. Don’t stir the rice in between they will get mushy check the rice in about 12 minutes. Cook Pulav until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.
  8. When Pulav is ready add mango powder and garam masala mix gently.
  9. Serve alone or with side of yogurt or pickle if you want to spice it up more.

Enjoy!

If you enjoyed the recipe for Chickpea Pulav (Chola Biryani, One Pot Meal), here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

15 Responses to “Chickpea Pulav (Chola Biryani, One Pot Meal)”

1. Sofia says:

Hello

Your recipe doesn’t state each time you add water but you mention ‘bringing to the boil’ twice and when is the dish meant to be on high heat too?

Thanks

2. Karen Lindsay says:

Could I check with you, can I freeze extra portions of this recipe for use another time?
    Thank you for your help.
    Biryani is delicious x

3. Ali says:

Hi Manjula
    Thank you for this recipe.
    Hing is listed in the ingredients, but when do I add it? :-)
    - Ali

4. Barbara says:

I don’t cook with proceeded foods…do i cook my dry chickpeas first then continue with recipe , being that canned beans are already cooked?

5. Rajeev says:

Hi,
    I am a veggie who loves cooking. I loved the recipes you have shared and this one is really tempting. Surely gonna try this at home. Once I am away from home I need these life savior for me. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Thanks
    Rajeev

6. Hemamalini says:

Thanks for your recipe and please let me know when to add hing.

Thanks
    Hema

7. Kate says:

I would like to make this recipe with brown basmati rice instead of white, and the difference in cooking time is about 30 more minutes for brown. Any thoughts on how to modify this recipe accordingly or if I need to at all? I’m just afraid that if I put the rice in as instructed, everything else in the pot will be mush by the time the rice is done. Any help will be appreciated!

8. McGee says:

Recipe doesn’t tell when to add the turmeric or amchoor…

• Manjula Jain says:

McGee,
      For amchoor check the step 8, and yes I forgot to mention about turmeric thank you for pointing it out I will correct the recipe, you should add turmeric when you are adding ginger at step 4.

9. A-Polly says:

To marsha: could there be a problem with your browser? I was able to print the recipe on one page with no problem at all, and look forward to trying the pulav tonight. Thank you, Manula – this recipe looks easy and delicious!

10. marsha says:

Why can’t you print out this recipe? Most have a way to print them. I also can’t understand her listening to the video. Very frustrating since her written recipe doesn’t correspond with everything I think she is saying.