This is a great vegan recipe for Jello! Jello is a simple easy snack that most kids love. Instead of adding gelatin, I am using Agar-Agar. It is an excellent vegetarian alternative for gelatin. It’s a good snack for kids and adults alike.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 1 cup grape juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon agar-agar powder (available in Indian and Asian stores)
- Dissolve the agar-agar in water, in saucepan combine juice, sugar, and water with agar-agar.
- Bring it to boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally making sure agar-agar is mixed well. Let it boil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat pour into individual cups or molds, or in a small glass tray. Refrigerate for about 3-4 hours.
- Jello is ready to serve.
- Pour the juice in the dish while it is hot as Jello will start getting set as it cools.
- I have experimented many times to give the right texture to the Jello and this combination comes out just right. Adding more agar-agar or not adding water with the juice will make jello very firm.
- Store bought orange juice did not work well for this recipe, but fresh orange juice works great.