What’s more satisfying and comforting than a hot bowl of soup? This is an easy recipe and simply delicious. Tomato Soup is always good as a starter or light meal with salad and crusty bread.
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut in small pieces to make about 4 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in small pieces to make about 1/3 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 celery stick, cut into small pieces to make about 1/3 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2” ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoons of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Lightly brown the ginger. Add carrots and celery. Stir fry two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Let the tomatoes cool, then pure in blender.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seed and asafetida. As the cumin seeds crack, add cilantro and stir for a minute.
- Add the tomato pure and approx. 1¼ cup of water (adjust the water to your taste).
- When the soup boils, turn the heat to low and let it simmer three to four minutes.
Serve hot, I like to serve with few pieces of crouton.