Lacha Paratha is whole wheat layered flat bread. Lacha Paratha is a treat with any meal and can be served with any gravy base dish of your choice.
Recipe will make 3.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Approx.1/2 cup water lukewarm
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (atta) to help rolling
- Approx. 2 tablespoons oil for cooking
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt, and oil. First add about 1/3 cup of water to make dough add remaining water as needed to make smooth and pliable dough. Knead the dough on a lightly greased surface.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough again before using and divide into 3 equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and press it both sides in dry flour this will help rolling, roll it into about 9” diameter or as thin you can roll. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin or rolling surface, lightly sprinkle dry whole-wheat flour on both sides of the semi-rolled paratha.
- Generously spread the oil over rolled paratha about ½ teaspoon with your fingers or brush, sprinkle approx. 2 teaspoon of flour over oiled paratha and spread evenly over whole surface.
- Start making pleats from one side make small pleats as there are more pleats, Paratha will have more layers.
- Make it into pinwheel and press it lightly in dry flour from both sides.
- Roll the pinwheel light handed into approx. 7” circle. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin or rolling surface, lightly sprinkle dry whole-wheat flour on both sides of the semi-rolled paratha.
- Heat the flat skillet over medium heat, heavy skillet works the best. To check if skillet is ready sprinkle few drops of water over skillet, water should sizzle.
- Place the parathe over skillet, after few seconds Paratha will start changing the color to dry look, after half a minute turn over the Paratha.
- Let it cook for few seconds from other side, spread 1 teaspoon of oil over the parathe and turn it over. Cook the Paratha from both sides pressing with spatula to light brown color.
- Lacha Paratha is ready to serve it taste best hot. Serve the Paratha with any gravy based dish.