Chai is black tea brewed with spices and milk. A cup of Chai gives a wonderful sense of warmth and has a soothing effect. Just the aroma from Chai wants you to have one, it is hard to resist. There are endless recipes and every house hold has their favorite spice mix.
Recipe will make Spice Mix for 24 cups.
- 24 green cardamoms
- 18 black peppers
- 1 teaspoon anis seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Tea for 2 Cups of Chai
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons tea leaves (I prefer Brooke Bond Red Label or Lipton Yellow Label)
- 2 teaspoons sugar adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Chai Spice Mix from above
- Mix all the spices and grind to a powder. I prefer to use coffee grinder the one I keep just for spices. Store the Chai Spice Mix in air tight container.
- Boil the water and milk with 1/2 teaspoon of spice mix. As water comes to boil reduce the heat to low and add tea leaves and sugar cover the pan and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain mixture and serve hot.
- Adjust the sugar to your taste.
- I use 10 oz tea cups or mugs.
- Use ¼ teaspoon of spice mix for 1 cup of tea.