Persimmon galette is a rustic tart that has amazing color and a perfect sweetness. It’s sure to impress your friends and family.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 1 1/2 pounds fuyu persimmons, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- Whole milk
- Blend flour and salt. Add butter and blend, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and blend just until dough begins to clump together, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between sheets of parchment paper to 1/8-inch-thick round. Chill 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine persimmon slices, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon peel in medium bowl; toss to blend.
- Spread preserves over crust, leaving 1 1/2-inch plain border.
- Arrange persimmon slices in concentric circles atop preserves, overlapping slightly. Fold crust border up over and brush with milk.
- Sprinkle crust edges and persimmon with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake galette 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and continue baking until crust is golden, about 20 minutes longer.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of French vanilla gelato.