This recipe is the old sweet dish Gulab Jamun but with a new twist: Chocolate Gulab Jamuns. The bitter dark chocolate insides is a perfect balance to the sweetness of gulab jamuns outside. Also I made these with milk powder which was new for me, and they turned out to be very soft and spongy. All were surprised and asked me for the recipe. So here it is!
- 1 Cup Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup Maida
- 2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Some chocolate chips
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix the milk powder with baking powder, maida, ghee and little water, make a smooth dough. Cover it with a lid and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small smooth balls. Fill chocolate chips in it and cover it with the mixture and make a ball.
- For preparing sugar syrup add 2 cups of water and cardamom powder to sugar and make half thread sugar syrup.
- For the syrup after the sugar dissolves in the water, boil the sugar syrup for a few minutes. The syrup is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep fry the jamuns. Fry the jamuns on a low flame stirring them constantly for even browning. When they turn to golden brown color, remove from the oil and put them into sugar syrup. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- Remember softer the dough, softer will be the Gulab Jamuns.
- You can also fill jam, gulkand, or any nuts in between.