Spicy Peas, touch of spices added to sweetness from peas and sourness from lemon makes this a great snack or a side dish. This is an easy recipe to make. Bright green color gives a nice touch to any meal.
Recipe will serve 4
- 3 cups green peas frozen (baby peas are preferred)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 teaspoons ginger chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons green chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (hara dhania)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Thaw the peas and pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds as they crack add green chili and ginger, stir for few second add green peas and salt.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes string occasionally, till peas are tender. Add black pepper and cilantro mix it well.
- Turn off the heat and squeeze the lemon juice over and stir.
- Spicy green peas are ready to serve!
- Serve Spicy green peas hot or at room temperature.
- Serve this as a side dish with any dal or gravy base dish.
- This really goes well as a snack by itself or with any kind of plain crackers. I serve them over Mathri, Saltine crackers or Papdi. You can find these recipes on my web site.
- Spicy Peas can be rolled in any flat bread for travelling or picnic. Spicy peas keep well at room temperature for 1-2 days.