Kalmai Vadas are crispy and delicious appetizer. Fried patties made with lentil and potatoes, can be a delightful treat for any party or a tea time snack.
Recipe will serve 6.
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1/4 cup split moong Dal
- 1-1/2 medium size boiled and mash potatoes (this should be about 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes)
- 2 green chili chopped adjust to taste (hari mirch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 teaspoon crushed coriander (dhania)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- About 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- Oil to fry
- Wash and soak chana and moong dal in four cups of water at least for four hours or more, after soaking dal will be about two times in the volume.
- Blend dal coarsely, add water if needed to blend but not more than 2-3 tablespoons. I use Food processor; it does a good job for blending dal coarsely without much water.
- Next mix all the ingredients together; this will make soft and crumbly dough.
- Divide the dough into 7-8 equal parts and make them into patties.
- Heat the oil in frying pan over medium high heat; frying pan should have about 1” of oil.
- Note: Kalmi Vadas are double fried.
- Fry the patties until they are golden brown it should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Take them out over paper towel and let them cool of to the room temperature, now cut patties into four pieces.
- Fry them again over medium high heat till they are golden brown. Take them out over paper towel.
- Kalmi vadas are ready.
To enhance the taste serve vadas with hari cilantro chutney.
Kalmi Vadas can be prepared ahead of time. Double fry Vadas just before serving, sliced Vadas (before double frying) can be refrigerated for 2-3 days or freezzed for about one month.