Urad Dal Puri, also known as Bedmi Kachori. This hearty dish is fried puffed bread with a mix of lentils and spices. Urad Dal Puri is a North Indian delicacy, which is both delicious and festive. Urad Dal Puri is an excellent option with any meal as it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
This recipe will make 8 puries.
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (roti atta)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed powder (Saunf)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder (sonth)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Oil to fry
- Wash and soak urad dal for 4 hours or more. Drain the water, blend dal coarsely into thick paste, using as little water as possible.
- In a bowl mix all the spices to flour, and mix it well.
- Add the dal paste (pithi) to the flour and make soft dough using lukewarm water as needed. Dough will be little sticky, grease your palm and put about 1 teaspoon of oil over the dough and knead the dough for about 1 minute. Cover the dough with damp cloth and let it sit for half an hour or more.
- Oil your palm and knead the dough again and divide into 8 equal parts, oil the palm again and roll them into smooth balls. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Oil the rolling pin and rolling surface. Roll the ball light handed in to about 6-inch circles.
- You can roll 2-3 puris before you start frying, but do not roll all the puries at once or they will begin to dry and not puff.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat; frying pan should have at least 1 inch of oil. To check if oil is hot enough place a small piece of dough in oil and dough should float to the top right away.
- Place the puri in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer, puri should puff.
- Turn puri over. Puri should be light golden brown from both sides. Take the puri out and place it on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- They are at their best when served hot and crisp.
- Store in a covered container after they cool to room temperature.