Vegetable curry in color and taste compliment any meal. This is a simple recipe but delicious and filled with flavors. Good way to incorporate a variety of vegetables in your meal.
Recipe will serve 4.
- Approx. 4 cups of mix vegetables
- about 2 cups cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 carrot diced in about 1/2 inch pieces (gajar)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, 1 zucchini small cut into bite size pieces with skin
- 6 tomatoes medium size
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, spice mix available in Indian grocery store
- Approx. 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- Mix the cornstarch with ¼ cup of water and set aside.
- Blend 5 sliced tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree. If you prefer mild take the seeds out of green chili before blending.
- Slice 1 tomato length wise into 8-10 pieces and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds, and asafetida, as seeds crack add tomato puree, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt. Cover the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and ¼ cup of water. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat stir few times in between. Vegetables should be tender not mushy.
- Add cornstarch mixture and let it cook for 2 more minutes. Cornstarch is added to thicken the gravy. If gravy is too thick add some hot water as needed.
- Turn off the heat add tomato slices, garam masala and cilantro, stir and cover the pan for few minutes before serving.
Enjoy the vegetable curry! Thank you