Creamy Butternut squash sauce with spiral pasta is a light, savory pasta dish with beautiful spring colors. Garnishing with beetroot adds gourmet touch.
Recipe will serve 2.
- Approx. 2-1/2 cups of uncooked spiral pasta
- Approx. 3 cups of butternut squash peeled and cut in about ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds crushed (saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup butternut squash shredded for garnishing
- 1/4 cup beetroot boiled and shredded for garnishing
- In a large pot boil the water with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil. After water comes to the boil add the pasta. Cook the pasta until it is tender, this will take about 8-10 minutes. Drain the water and set pasta aside.
- Cook the squash in about 1-1/2 cups of water until squash becomes very soft; puree the squash to creamy texture.
- In a saucepan add 1 tablespoon of oil and all-purpose flour over medium heat and stir for a minute. While stirring slowly add cream making sure there are no lumps. After it comes to a boil, add milk and butternut squash puree.
- Add salt, black pepper and fennel seeds; boil for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Sauce should be creamy and pourable consistency.
Prepare the Pasta
- Before serving pour the sauce over pasta and mix.
- Garnish the individual pasta servings with shredded squash and top it with few slices of beetroot.
I cook the beetroot in microwave, wrap it with wet paper towel and cook for about 4-5 minutes.