Gulgulas are like lightly sweetened mini donuts. In India these are made for special occasions. This is a quick and easy to make recipe. They make good finger food even for the kids on the go. This is an easy recipe to make when you are craving for something sweet.
Recipe will make 20 to 24 Gulgula.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- Approx. 3 tablespoons water
- Oil to fry
- Mix whole-wheat flour, sugar, fennel seeds, and oil, add water slowly as needed to make the thick consistency batter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- The frying pan should have about 1inch of oil. (To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in oil. The batter should come up but not change color right away).
- Slowly drop 1 teaspoon of batter at a time in to the oil. Don’t over crowd the frying pan.
- Fry the Gulgulas golden brown all sides, turning them occasionally. It will take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the gulgulas and place over a paper towel so the excess oil is absorbed.
If oil is not hot enough gulgulas will stick to the bottom of the frying pan.