Zucchini pasta is a whole-wheat egg less pasta, freshly made and taste great. This is a healthy recipe and easy to make. This is an old recipe from my grandmother but she used turai instead zucchini (turai is from same family as zucchini) and the dish is known as nanua ka petha in Bihar.
Recipe will serve 2.
- 3 cup finely chopped zucchini about 2 medium size zucchini
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Pinch of asafetida
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 3-4 dried whole red chili
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or ghee
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- Approx. 2 tablespoons of water use as needed
- ½ teaspoon of oil to knead the dough
- Mix flour, salt and water together to make a firm dough (add water as needed).
- Knead the dough on a lightly greased surface to make the dough smooth and pliable.
- Let the dough rest for at least five minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Make smooth ball and roll into about 5-inch circle like roti or tortilla.
- Cut them in approx. 1” squares. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the zucchini and cut them in small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds as they crack add asafetida, whole red chilies, bay leaf, and turmeric stir for few seconds.
- Add zucchini, salt and about 2 cups of water. After it comes to boil let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the pasta lower the heat to low medium cover the pan and let it cook for approx. 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add sugar.
- Before serving squeeze lemon juice and add the clarified butter.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
To make spicy add ¼ teaspoon of garam masala.
This is good Vegan recipe if you do not use Butter.