Black Eyed Bean is also known as lobia or chawalie. This is a basic recipe, easy and nutritious recipe to make, very delicious and protein rich.
Recipe will serve 3 t0 4.
- 1 cup black eye beans (lobia,chawalie)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2 red green chili
- 2 wedges of lemon
- Wash and soak beans for one hour or more.
- In a small bowl, mix the ginger, green chili, coriander powder, turmeric, and 3 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker on medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds as they crack add asafetida, add the spice paste and stir for a minute until spices start leaving the oil.
- Add Black Eyed Beans, salt and water close the pressure cooker as pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Black-eyed beans should be soft and tender.
- Add mango powder, garam masala, and tomatoes cover the cooker for few minutes. That will give tomatoes chance to get semi cooked with steam.
- Black Eyed Beans are ready to serve you can garnish this with wedge of lemon.
Making a paste with the spices will prevent the spices from burning.