These are absolutely delicious and flavorful sandwiches that are quick and easy to make. Tofu sandwiches are healthy and appropriate for Vegans, too. The Tofu provides a great source of protein, while the Hari Cilantro chutney brings in a unique ethnic flavor to the sandwich. These sandwiches make a great “to-go” lunch.
Recipe will make 2 sandwiches
- French rolls or sandwich rolls
- 4-¼ inch thick firm tofu slices (tofu usually comes in 16oz blocks soaked in water and each of these will make approx. 12 slices)
- 1 zucchini
- slices of tomatoes
- Few pieces of romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup Hari Cilantro Chutney
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- About 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Prepare sandwich ingredients: Slice tofu into ¼” thickness and pat dry. Wash and remove ends of zucchini, then cut lengthwise into approx. ⅛” thick slices. Wash and slice tomatoes. Set aside.
- Mix Hari Cilantro Chutney and sugar, set aside.
- Generously grease a flat skillet and bring to medium heat. Add tofu and zucchini slices and lightly sprinkle with salt. Grill on both sides until they are light-brown in color. Remove from skillet and wipe skillet clean.
- Slice rolls lengthwise through the center and lightly spread with olive oil on the inside portion. Place on medium-heat skillet to toast. Turn off the heat.
- Assemble the sandwich over the skillet: Turn over the roll and lightly spread Hari Cilantro Chutney on the bottom half of the roll. Layer with lettuce followed by tofu slices. Spread tofu with more chutney. Layer with zucchini followed by tomatoes. Cover with the top half of the roll.
Yellow Squash, eggplant, or mushrooms also taste great in this sandwich.