This is a bright, colorful and refreshing fruit chaat that can also be used as a fruit salad. My siblings and I looked forward to the fruit chaat, which was served regularly as part of our lunch. It was a delicious way of eating a great variety of fresh, seasonal fruit. This will brighten up any meal or taste great by itself, any time of the day.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 2 oranges skin removed and ½ each segment
- 1 apple peeled and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- 1 firm banana sliced into approximately ¼ inch rounds
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup English or Asian cucumber cubed into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 finely chopped green chili-optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Approximately 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Approximately 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black salt-optional
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl combine fruits and cucumber with the green chili and cilantro. Toss and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together; making sure that the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour dressing over the fruits and serve.
I have used many different varieties of fruits in this chaat dish; however, I always keep the oranges and bananas, as they add a lot of color and texture to the dish.