Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Recipe serves 4.
- 1 cup dried chick peas (garbanzo, kabli chana)
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 green chili
- About 1/4 inch piece of ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (plain flour, maida)
- Also need oil to fry
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- About 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- About 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 green chili adjust to taste
- About 1/4 cup water use as needed
- 2 cups of thinly sliced lettuce
- 2 medium size chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 4 pocket pita bread
- In a small frying pan dry roast the sesame seeds on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- mix all the ingredients and blend to make a pourable paste use water as needed
- Keep it aside.
- Soak the chickpeas in 4 cups of water over night. After soaking chickpeas will be about 2 and half time in volume.
- In pressure cooker add chickpeas with the 3 cups of water. Close the cooker and put the pressure on.
- Cook on medium high heat.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Close the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Chickpeas should be just tender not very soft.
- Drain the water and let it cool; combine all the ingredients for falafel grind using food processor, mixture should be grainy. If needed add few spoons of water.
- Divide the mixture in 24 equal parts or make them as desired size patties.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- The frying pan should have at least 1 ½ inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put small piece of dough in oil. The dough should come up but not change color right away.
- Slowly drop the falafel patties in the oil and fry until they are brown in color both sides. It should take about 5-6 minutes to cook each batch.
- Keep the patties aside.
- Take pita bread and heat over the skillet on medium high heat both sides lightly.
- Slice the pita bread from center in half take one part and open from center looking like a pocket.
- Fill the pita pocket with chopped lettuce so it 1/3 full. Next add some chopped tomatoes and cucumber.
- Pour about one tablespoon of tahini sauce, 3 to 4 pieces of falafel and again tahini sauce.
- It’s best to serve the sandwich with hot falafels. Falafels can be easily re-heated before serving using an oven or toaster oven.
Serve the falafel over green salad use the tahini sauce as a dressing.