Baingan Bharta (Eggplant)

October 9th, 2009 filed under Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetables Sauteed / Dry

Baingan Bharta is mashed eggplant cooked with spiced tomato very flavorful dish. Traditionally bharta is made with charcoal roasted eggplant but I have adopted it to the modern kitchen. This is a very popular dish in Punjab usually served with roti.

Recipe will serve 2 to 3.

Baingan BhartaIngredients:

• 1 Eggplant (should be big and fat)
  • 2 medium size tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper cut in small pieces (capsicum)
  • 1 green chili
  • 1/4  inch piece of ginger
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • Pinch of asafetida
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2  teaspoon red chili
  • 1 teaspoon sat adjust to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
  • 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro to garnish

Method:

1. Cook the whole eggplant (put it on a microwave safe dish) in microwave for 8 to 10 minutes until it is tender. If you are using an oven, preheat the oven at 400 degrees F and bake it for about 45 minutes turning the sides every fifteen minutes. Be sure to first put the eggplant in an oven safe shallow bowl or a cookie sheet.
  2. Let it cool and peel off the skin then chop the eggplant in small pieces and keep aside.
  3. Blend the tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
  4. Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium high and stir fry the bell pepper for about a minute. Take out the bell pepper from pan and keep aside.
  5. Use the same saucepan with remaining oil heat the oil little more. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away it is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seed.
  6. After cumin seeds crack, add tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili, and salt and let it cook for a few minutes until tomato puree has started leaving the oil.
  7. Add eggplant let it cook on medium heat keep stirring the eggplant and mashing the eggplant as it cooks.
  8. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes.
  9. Add bell pepper, fresh cilantro, and garam masala to the eggplant and mix it gently.
  10. Bharta is ready serve hot with rotis, parathas, or naan. Enjoy!

If you enjoyed the recipe for Baingan Bharta (Eggplant), here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

91 Responses to “Baingan Bharta (Eggplant)”

1. Trip says:

Dear Ma’am,

This website has become an integral part of my cooking.I love all your recipes. However I have a question regarding this recipe. Do we need to take out the seeds of the baigan after baking or shall we cook along with it. Also if you could tell me the model number of your dough maker.

Thanks

2. [...] looking for a recipe that would make use of the extra eggplants sitting in my fridge, and found a nice, authentic looking curry recipe. It came out pretty well but it was more tart than how I would have liked my curry. I think the [...]

3. Priti says:

Manjulaji, I loved making this recipe and it tastes awesome!! I must say that any recipe from your website is a hit and I have tried quite a few of them. I also made the pedhas and my son was overjoyed after seeing them and tasting them:) Now whenever I am not sure what to cook for dinner, I browse your website and get inspired!! Thanks a bunch!!

• Priti says:

I wish there was a rating system for your recipes where viewers can rate from one star to five stars!! I would give this recipe 5 stars!!

4. Andrea E. says:

I have been watching you cook since you first started putting up your videos on YouTube. You are so wonderful and make everything simple, and easy to copy.
    I loved how all the comments in the old days would be from Indians who called you Aunty, I see some still do that.
    I made this and it turned out GREAT! Thanks.

5. Lindsey says:

I added 1/2 cup yogurt at the very end, which made it a bit more creamy and stretched it out for another meal. I love this recipe! thanks!

6. Hattie says:

I’ve just pushed myself away from the table. This was absolutely delicious. I substituted 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (drained) since the fresh ones are never very good this time of year. It was a tad spicy for my 4 year old, but my toddler seemed to like it.

I love this site for the simplicity of the recipes and the clarity and reassurance you bring to the preparation. Everything I’ve tried has been great. Now–what do I do with the bag of chana dal that I bought? :)

7. Zeenia says:

Hi Manjulaji,

Can u pls add a photo of all your cooked recipes, so that we can take the print out of the recipes with the photo of the same. Then we will get an idea that how it would look like after cooking. Pls.

Thank you for all your awesome and easy recipes.
    Zeenia

8. koki d says:

for peeling the skin off
    consider placing the baked baigan in a clear plastic bag
    the moisture allows the skin to peel off easy also the juices
    collect in the bag and for smoky rural punjabi type flavor strain juices and add to bhartha for cooking
    for very authentic bake on gas with a wire rack rotating eggplant
    continuously makes a mess put foil to catch the drippings
    delicious flavor what do you think Manjula ?

9. Dinesh says:

Thank you so much Manjula for this recipe.

I wish I can have the one that you cook !!! :)

God Bless you.

10. Aggie says:

I’m so excited about finding your site! I was looking for an eggplant curry recipe and found you on youtube….you are so easy to watch and learn from, thank you! can’t wait to try your recipes!! I am new to Indian and also do not eat much meat so I’m looking forward to browsing your site.