Sprout lentil (dal) salad is a colorful, refreshing, nourishing dish, a good source of protein and calcium. This salad can be served as a light lunch. This is an easy recipe to prepare.
- 1 ½ cup sprouted moong
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup cucumber chopped
- 1 orange, separated into slices
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (hara dhania)chopped
- 1 seeded green chili (optional)chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground roasted cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (optional for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all the salad dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Cook the sprouts with salt and ¼ cup water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and cook two minutes.
- Cover the pan for three to four minutes. Drain off any liquid.
- Let the sprouts cool to room temperature and add the dressing.
- In a serving dish arrange tomatoes, cucumber, and oranges. Top with the spiced sprouts.
- Garnish with cilantro and green chili.
How to make sprouts
- Soak the whole moong ten to twelve hours in four parts water. (Soaking will double the volume of the moong).
- Line a colander from the moong and loosely wrap the beans in the muslin cloth. Store the soaked beans in a warm dark place for a day or two (a closed, unheated oven, for example, or on the countertop covered with a heavy cloth) until sprouted.
- Sprouts can be refrigerated for four or five days.
- Sprouts salad makes a good lunch to take to the office or school.