Sprout lentil (dal) salad is a very colorful, refreshing and healthy dish. Moong dal is a good source of protein and calcium. This salad can also be served as a light lunch. This is an easy recipe to prepare.
Recipe serves 4.
- 1 ½ cup sprouted moong
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 sliced orange
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 seeded and chopped green chili (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground roasted cumin seed (jeera)1 tablespoon lemon juice, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (optional for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all the salad dressing ingredients together. Keep aside.
- Next cook the sprouts with salt and 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan as it comes to boil turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan for about three to four minutes, drain any liquid.
- Let the sprouts cool to room temperature and add the dressing.
- In a serving dish make arrange tomatoes, cucumber and oranges. On top add the spiced sprouts.
- Garnish with cilantro and green chili.
How to make sprouts:
- Soak the whole moong for 10 to 12 hours. Water should be about four times more than the Moong.
- After soaking moong, it will double in volume.
- Line a colander with muslin cloth. Drain the water and loosely wrap the beans with the muslin cloth. Store the soaked beans in a warm dark place. For example, store the beans in a closed oven or cover with a heavy cloth. Within a day or two, the beans will have sprouted.
- Sprouts can be refrigerated for four or five days.
- Sprouts salad makes a good lunch to take to the office or school.