This is a north Indian dish, spicy, sweet and sour taste all in one. Typically this dish is served with puri and kachori (puri stuffed with urad dal).
- 1 tablespoons mango powder (amchoor) 4 tablespoons sugar (cheeni)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 4 cups of sliced squash (kadoo)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (dana mathi)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground funnel seed (saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (pisi mirch) adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (dagi mirch) provides a nice color
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 4 whole red chili (sabut lal mirch)
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
- Peel and cut the squash into cubes.
- Save about ¼ of the squash peel and chop them.
- In a small bowl, mix the shredded ginger, coriander powder, funnel, red chili powder, paprika, turmeric, and ¼ cup of water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida after seeds crack add fenugreek seeds and red chilies and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the spice paste and stir-fry for a minute until spices start leaving the oil.
- Add the squash, squash peels, salt, and ¼ cup of water. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Squash will be semi mushy.
- Make sure to stir gently every 3 to 4 minutes. Check if more water needed.
- Lastly, add the mango powder, sugar and chopped cilantro. Mix everything and cover for a minute. Adjust the salt to your taste.
I have used acorn squash but any squash can be used whatever is available for example banana squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash etc. The only one I know does not work is spaghetti squash and pumpkin.
The recipe is with many blends of spices and great aroma makes a great dish to serve with plain rice. Just make the dish with extra gravy by adding more water on step 9.