Kaju burfi is probably the most favorite Indian dessert. Kaju burfi is a delicious treat for any occasion. This can also be served as a fudge or candy. This is also a great vegan treat.
Recipe will make 20 pieces.
- 2 cups of cashew nuts (kaju)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- About 20 strings of saffron (optional)
- Grind the cashew nuts to powder. Dry grinder or a coffee grinder works the best.
- On very low heat in a heavy bottom pan roast the cashew nut powder for about 4 minutes or until powder just get warm. Do not heat for any longer otherwise powder will start getting oily.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water together on medium heat until syrup is 1 thread or 225 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Next add the saffron to the syrup mix it well. Saffron is optional. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cashew powder to the syrup and mix it well, making sure there are no lumps.
- To check the right consistency take a little mix in a spoon, you should be able to roll this into softball.
- Next spread the mix quick to the greased plate. Spread before the mix cools off.
- Allow burfi to cool and then cut them in the shapes you will like.
- Grind small portion at a time if you grind for too long nuts start getting oily.
- Store at room temperature for a week or in the fridge for longer.
- If the burfi remains soft, you can cook the mixture on low heat for few minutes.
- If the mixture is too dry add the boiling water 1 spoon at a time making sue it comes to right consistency.
As you see you can never go wrong with this recipe.