Muthia (Steamed Dumpling)

April 6th, 2009 filed under Appetizers, Vegan

Muthias are steamed spiced dumplings, made with gramflour (besan), cabbage, and spices. They make a tasty appetizer or snack.
Serves 4.

MuthiaIngredients:
Muthia:

• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
  • 4 cups very fine shredded cabbage
  • 1 cup gram flour (basen) (available in Indian grocery stores)
  • 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fenugreek leaves (can be substitute with 2 tablespoons of dry fenugreek leaves or kastoori mathi) fenugreek can also be replaced with chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
  • 2 chopped green chili (adjust to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons oil

For Seasoning and Garnish:

• 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (til)
  • 4 whole red chili
  • 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania)

Method:

1. Combine gram flour, whole wheat flour, fenugreek, cumin seed, turmeric, green chili, sugar, citric acid, oil, and salt in a bowl.
  2. Add the cabbage to the flour mixture and mix well to make soft dough. Add water if needed .
  3. Grease your fingers and divide the mixture into 14 pieces. Drop slowly onto the steamer and steam, covered, 18 to 20 minutes. Test by inserting a knife; blade should come out clean.
  4. Let the muthias cool.  Cut each one into two pieces off and then slice them in two pieces.

seasoning

1. Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the sesame seeds and red chili and stir-fry the mixture a few seconds.
  2. Add muthias and stir-fry them for three  to four minutes until they are light brown.Garnish them with chopped cilantro.
  3. Serve them hot or at room temperature.

Notes:

1. Steam immediately after preparing the mixture. If you allow it to sit, it will be too soft. If you have more than one batch, hold the salt and add it one batch at a time or it will be too soft.
  2. Muthias can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days.
  3. Muthias can be frozen before seasoning. When ready to serve, thaw the frozen muthias and season them.

Variation:

You can substitute zucchini or bottled gourd (also known as doodhi, loki or ghia) for the cabbage. Because theses vegetables have more water content, after shredding lightly squeeze them between your palms to remove the excess water before making the mixture.

Serving suggestions:
Muthias are great with cilantro chutney.
Muthias can be served just after steaming, but before seasoning, with cilantro chutney.

If you enjoyed the recipe for Muthia (Steamed Dumpling), here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

79 Responses to “Muthia (Steamed Dumpling)”

1. shalaka says:

Hello Manjulaji,

Can we replace the citric acid with eno salt ? Is there any substitute for citric acid?

Regards,
    Shalaka

2. Neeta Agashe says:

Dear Manjula Tai, I am so thankful to you for this recipe.
    Everytime I make this I remember you a lot. My husband
    is on a Heart healthy diet,so he can have it anytime a day.
    Here in Canada we get such a huge cabbage,I really could
    not understand before,what to do with this other than our
    regular 4/6 dishes. Now I am happy to know this recipe.
    Thanks.

3. Archana says:

Great recipe. We loved it. Thanks.

4. Pooja says:

Hello Aunty,

I do not have steamer, what are the alternatives ? can I just steam like the way I steam dhoklas and then cut them into diagonal squares and add the tempering?
    Thanks

5. Sindhu says:

Dear Manjula aunty,

Thank you for this great recipe! I tried it today and came out very well. I added a little grated coconut at the end, as I didn’t have enough cilantro.

6. [...] bonding agent/sweetener such as sugar and oil. You can find the recipe for these Muthias at Manjulas Kichen. I used only 1 tsp of Kasoori Methi. LD_AddCustomAttr("AdOpt", "1"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Origin", [...]

7. Shalu says:

Dear Manjuka Aunty,

I am keep a regular watch at ur upcoming new innovative recipes. They are always excellent. The upper recipe of muthia is verygood, i just watched it and will surely try it, once i get all the ingridients.
    Thanks u very much for your kind effort in posting such nice recipes esp. without oil, for all of us viewers. May God bless u. Have a happy cooking now and always.
    One query Manjula aunty:)
    I saw the vegetable steamer u have used while making the muthias. From where i can get it? Iam currently living in Dubai. Can i get it here and with what name?

8. ps says:

Hi Mrs. Manjula,

I saw this recipe just recently and immediately decided to make it since I had all the ingredients. I love the fact that this is a protein rich snack food without much oil at all. My toddler loved it with some ketchup, and the adults enjoyed it with some hot sauce. Really good recipe, and I’ll be making it more often. I hope you keep posting recipes like this that does not require deep frying.

9. Pranavita says:

Dear aunty,

I had doubt regarding louki,should that be shredded with the skin or should we peel of the skin?

10. jit says:

Manjulaben – Can I use Handvo flour instead of the mixture of the two you suggest? Please keep the recipes coming –they are a true inspiration.