Muthia (Steamed Dumpling)

April 6th, 2009 filed under Appetizers, Vegan

Muthias are steamed spiced dumplings, made with gramflour (besan), cabbage, and spices. They make a tasty appetizer or snack.
Serves 4.

MuthiaIngredients:
Muthia:

• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
  • 4 cups very fine shredded cabbage
  • 1 cup gram flour (basen) (available in Indian grocery stores)
  • 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fenugreek leaves (can be substitute with 2 tablespoons of dry fenugreek leaves or kastoori mathi) fenugreek can also be replaced with chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
  • 2 chopped green chili (adjust to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons oil

For Seasoning and Garnish:

• 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (til)
  • 4 whole red chili
  • 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania)

Method:

1. Combine gram flour, whole wheat flour, fenugreek, cumin seed, turmeric, green chili, sugar, citric acid, oil, and salt in a bowl.
  2. Add the cabbage to the flour mixture and mix well to make soft dough. Add water if needed .
  3. Grease your fingers and divide the mixture into 14 pieces. Drop slowly onto the steamer and steam, covered, 18 to 20 minutes. Test by inserting a knife; blade should come out clean.
  4. Let the muthias cool.  Cut each one into two pieces off and then slice them in two pieces.

seasoning

1. Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the sesame seeds and red chili and stir-fry the mixture a few seconds.
  2. Add muthias and stir-fry them for three  to four minutes until they are light brown.Garnish them with chopped cilantro.
  3. Serve them hot or at room temperature.

Notes:

1. Steam immediately after preparing the mixture. If you allow it to sit, it will be too soft. If you have more than one batch, hold the salt and add it one batch at a time or it will be too soft.
  2. Muthias can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days.
  3. Muthias can be frozen before seasoning. When ready to serve, thaw the frozen muthias and season them.

Variation:

You can substitute zucchini or bottled gourd (also known as doodhi, loki or ghia) for the cabbage. Because theses vegetables have more water content, after shredding lightly squeeze them between your palms to remove the excess water before making the mixture.

Serving suggestions:
Muthias are great with cilantro chutney.
Muthias can be served just after steaming, but before seasoning, with cilantro chutney.

If you enjoyed the recipe for Muthia (Steamed Dumpling), here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

79 Responses to “Muthia (Steamed Dumpling)”

1. Rashmi says:

Hi,
    Muthia looks very interesting! i am going try for my next party. Please tell me which part of india is this Muthia dish from?
    thanks

2. Payal says:

Hello Aunty,

I like your recipe. I tried it the way you have made yours. but My Muthiyas did not harden with Steaming. even after leaving it for 30 mins on the steamer. can you help. Do you think my Mithiyas were little too soft form the beginning? can I add some basan or Wheat Flour to same mixture and try again?

thanks for your help.
    Payal

3. [...] I’ve never been led astray by one of Manjula’s dishes. Her Chana Masala (below) and Muthia are staples in my kitchen. I should note that Manjula is a practicing Jain, which means that she [...]

4. Julie says:

Dear Manjula,
    I am a vegetarian and a big fan of your recipies. I have been making Mutias using cabbage, they are delicious. You did mention that they can be made with zuccini. I’m guessing you first grate them like in zuccini bread, but do you need to salt it and squeeze out the liquid or just use as is?
    Julie

5. Saumya says:

Hello Aunty,

Have been looking to your website for quite long and cook several dishes of yours…Everything turned out very yummy…Saturday I’m gonna try Muthias of two types (Palak and Cabbage).

Thanks a lot for your ideas.
    Regards,
    Saumya

6. Roshni Simmons says:

Great recipe, right now I am going to try the besan dosa. Yummy!

7. Sarika says:

Hi Manjula aunty,
    I tried to make muthia, but something went wrong and it was not cooking at all…then I finally gave up…
    I am a big fan of your cooking…this is first time that I made something and didn’t came out good :-(
    Please get some new Paneer recipe.

Reagrds
    Sarika

8. sag says:

hello Aunty,

i tried this recipe today. it came out great. i added palak and cabbage

came out very good. Thanks for recipe

9. Swati says:

Hello Aunty,

I love your dishes and it has helped a novice like me to learn a few tricks of cooking. Is there a replacement for citric acid? Can I use lemon juice instead? Please reply. I plan to make this for some guests visiting us next week.

Regards,