Mushroom with peas is a great side dish consisting of mushrooms and peas in a spiced tomato curry with a touch of fenugreek leaves.
Serves 2 to 4
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger
- 2 tablespoon chopped fenugreek leaves or dry fenugreek leaves (also known as kastoori mathi)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (adjust to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoons salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 finally chopped green chili (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds. As cumin seeds crack add turmeric. Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes, ginger, salt, coriander, and chili powder. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and reduce to half.
- Add mushrooms, and peas. After coming to a boil reduce the heat to medium.
- Add fenugreek leaves after mushrooms have cooked half the way about 4 minutes.
- Cook until mushrooms and peas are tender. Close the heat.
- Add lemon juice and green chili if you like. Serve hot.
- Dicing the tomatoes will give a different texture to the curry then tomato puree.
- Fenugreek leaves can be replaced with chopped cilantro (hara dhaniya).
- To add heat to this dish, garnish with finely chopped green chilies.