Yellow Fried Rice

December 28th, 2008 filed under Gluten Free, Rice, Vegan

Yellow rice is very flavorful and aromatic with great blend of spices. Turmeric adds the vivid golden color to the rice. Yellow rice is quick, and easy to make. This goes great with soup, and salad or as a side dish with any meal.

Recipe serves 2 to 4.

Yellow RiceIngredients:

• 1 cup basmati rice
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • Pinch of asafetida (hing)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seed (rai)
  • 4 whole red chilies (sabut lal mirch)
  • 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
  • About 1inch piece of cinnamon stick (dal chini)
  • 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Method

1. Wash rice gently and soak it for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
  2. After cooking rice expands to about three times in volume, so be sure to use the proper size pan.
  3. Drain the rice and put into the saucepan. Add the water, green peas, 1 teaspoon of oil, and salt, bring to a boil and turn the heat to low, and cover the pan.
  4. Cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
  5. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add asafetida, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds.
  6. After the seeds crack, add red chilies, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick and stir-fry for few seconds.
  7. Add rice, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the spices in frying pan. Mix it gently.
  8. Stir-fry for about 5 to 6 minutes.
  9. Serve hot with soup, dal or yogurt.

If you enjoyed the recipe for Yellow Fried Rice, here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

46 Responses to “Yellow Fried Rice”

1. Rosemarie says:

Brilliant recipe. THANK YOU

2. uzma says:

thank u for ur wonderfull recipes, i enjoy coming to ur website, looking forward to try this recipes as well,’best regards

3. Kate says:

Dear Manjula,

I am not Indian, but a wife of Indian, so I had to learn to cook Indian dishes. We live in a faraway country of Georgia (former USSR). I am using your recipes to cook almost all the dishes, except, of course, meat ones. Thank you very much. Such a great site, easy and tasty recipes. My husband loves everyhting I cook as well as entire family and friends

With your recpies I became known in our town as one of the best housewifes and cooks. :) ) In the past I used to invite friends to our home, now it is vice versa – they call and ask to come for an Indian dinner. :) )
    Thanks again,
    Respecfully,
    Kate Sen

4. jinny says:

Namaste Aunty,

today i tried to make yellow rice, and it came out very well, my husband loved it very much. Aunty your recipes make my cooking really easier and tastier.

Thanks a lot

5. Kerrie says:

Hi,
    Thank you for all your wonderful recipes.
    Is, the the chilli you use in this recipe dried, or can I use fresh chilli’s?
    Thanks :)

6. LISE says:

WHAT IS TURMERIC? IN PORTUGUESE OF BRASIL, PLEASE. tHAKS FOR ATTENCION. : )

7. Vanessa says:

I made this rice exactly how you made it for my husband and myself. We LOVED it! It was great! Thank you for the education!

8. Simi says:

Manjulaji,
    I really love all of your recipes I tried yet!

Just like the other recipes, the yellow fried rice is surprisingly easy and quick. I really enjoy it every time I make it.

Only thing is, the rice becomes sticky with me, although I follow every step exactly and use desi basmati rice too. Normally I like sticky rice, but here I’m doing something wrong I guess… ;-P

Cheers,
    Simi.

• Simi says:

OK, problem solved! ;-)
      I used double polished rice, now I’m using the basmati from the Indian grocer. That gives longer and more separate grains. Polished works fine now too with using less water.

9. Wesley says:

I made some yellow rice with your video. No Cayenne Pepper, so I added just red pepper powder. Used ordinary white rice since I had no Basmati rice. Yet my family loved it. They ate all I made, so it must have been good.

Thanks for the video.