Asafetida (hing)

July 23rd, 2008 filed under Spices

Asafetida

Asafetida (Hing) is very essential ingredient in Indian vegetarian cooking. Hing has very strong and unique smell and flavor. If this is used too much smell can be unpleasant. It is used in Ayurvedic medicine and good for digestive system.

If you enjoyed the recipe for Asafetida (hing), here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

21 Responses to “Asafetida (hing)”

1. Arin says:

I am using this because I can’t digest onions and garlic… can you tell me a conversion of how much to use when subbing for onions and garlic?

2. Cindy Morton says:

Is hing gluten free?

3. Robert says:

I have Celiac’s disease, which means I can not eat wheat/gluten. Where can I buy pure hing on the internet, not the stuff that is cut with wheat flour? I am desperate, please help!

• Manjula Jain says:

Robert,
      Check in Indian grocery store they carry 2-3 different brands read the ingredient one will be gluten free for sure. I am sorry I should have done that next when I am there I will do.

4. Carolyn says:

Hi Manjula,

Thanks for your wonderful vegetarian website!! Though as a Buddhist vegetarian there are certain vegetables/spices that I cannot use, hing for example is one (the others are garlic, onion, shallot, leek and chives). Yet when I read the introduction, you’ve also mentioned it is one of the essential spices in Indian vegetarian cooking. I wonder if you could suggest other subsitutes for this particular spice? Many thanks :)

• Kevin says:

Are you sure that you have your information correct?
      From what I have read, hing is used by Jainists as a substitute for all the other items that you have mentioned.

And Tracey, hing is to be kept in airtight container away from other spices. As foul-smelling as it may be, the taste mellows out when it is cooked.

• Carolyn says:

Hi Kevin,

I am a Buddhist, not a Jainist.

Jainism and Buddhism have very different practices and doctrines, despite they may seem to share minor similarities for people who are not familiar with Buddhism. In Buddhism we follow Buddha’s teachings and words (recorded into the so-called Buddhist scripts or sutras), which have pointed out several vegetables we should avoid, and asafoetida is definitely the one of the listed vegetable. If you are interested, please refer to Shurangama Sutra, Lankavatar Sutra and Brahmajala Sutra. Hence I would not apply the practice of Jainism in my diet, especially for a Mahayana Buddhist.

5. Daniel says:

I am in South Africa, where can i find asafetida (hing). Please send me an email at dchinounye@yahoo.com

• Miriam says:

Hi Daniel, you don’t mention where about in cape town you live, but you should be able to get it at any spice shop. There is spice mecca in kenilworth centre, Datar in Rylands, The curry pot in lansdowne road, claremont and Fargo’s on the border of woodstock observatory. Hope this helps.

6. Drew says:

When I add hing to the hot oil, as the recipes say, it never dissolves fully. It leaves little black grains in the oil, instead. What am I doing wrong?

7. Tracey says:

I bought this Hing and other spices at a local Indian store. When I got home I sat the bag on the counter and went upstairs. An hour later I came downstairs to this foul odor in my house. I couldn’t figure what it was. That hing Unopened still in plastic bag is now in my garage. I can’t believe how strong it smells. I can’t even imagine eating it. That smell will be coming out my pores & my house will smell forever with it. Now I know why the apartment complexs in Parsippany nj smell. It’s that hing.

8. SAMANTHA says:

HI THERE..I BUY HING POWDER ON EBAY WEBSITE..ITS ALWAYS FRESH AND ITS CHEAP…THEY SALE IT BY DIFFERENT OUNCES…SO GO TO http://WWW.EBAY.COM AND U WILL FIND IT THERE AS HING OR ASAFETIDA..THANKS

• samosa4us says:

I prefer purchasing grocery items via “brick and mortar” stores rather than the internet, but thanks, Samantha.

9. samosa4us says:

Greetings, Chef Jain. I believe we live in the same County.
    I shop occasionally at North Park Produce in Chula Vista. The hing powder sold here
    has been on the shelf too long and has lost it’s potency. Can you suggest a market that
    receives a current stock of hing powder? I notice that you use the Ramdev brand. Is is
    available in the States? Thank you very much and best wishes.

• samosa4us says:

Does anyone else have a suggestion? Thanks.

• Jaya says:

Shop Indian grocery stores that have a lot of customers so hopefully there’s more turnover and restocking of merchandise. Good quality hing should last for several years in an airtight container. Make sure you get pure hing and not the kind that is mixed with other ingredients. Pure hing will come in smaller containers because it is much more potent.