Chili Pickle is a great way to spice up any meal. Indian meals are generally served with different condiments of which pickles are the most common one. This is a rather hot and spicy pickle, not for the light hearted by any means.
- 20 green Serrano chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons coriander (dhania)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (mathi)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil, mustard oil preferred
- Wash and dry the chilies and cut a vertical slit, lengthwise in each one.
- Combine coriander, fennel and fenugreek seeds and grind coarsely.
- Add salt, mango powder and turmeric to the ground spices; mix well.
- Heat oil till it is quite hot, and then pour over the dry ingredient mixture. Mix well.
- Add vinegar and mix well, again.
- Stuff green peppers with the spice mix and place in a glass jar. Place jar for 2 days at room temperature or for 1 day in direct sunlight.
- Chili Pickle can be refrigerated up to a month.
As an alternative to stuffing the chillies, you can slice the chili into 1/8inch pieces and mix it in with the spice mixture.
To reduce the heat of the pickle, remove pepper seeds prior to stuffing with the spices.