Dal Makhani is a popular north Indian dish; it is rich and hearty. Dal Makhani is a combination of whole urad and red kidney beans. It goes great with Naan or Tandoori Roti.
Serves 2 to3.
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal
- 1/8 cup red kidney beans (Rajma)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 minced green pepper or adjust to taste (Hari Mirch)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (Haldi)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (Amchoor)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (Jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
- 3 to 4 whole red chilies (Sabut Lal Mirch)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder optional (Lal Mirch)
- 1/2 tablespoon shredded ginger
- Wash urad dal and kidney beans well and soak dal in about 6 cups of water for about 8 hours. After soaking dal will be about 2 1/2 times the volume of the original.
- In pressure cooker add dal with four cups of water, salt, turmeric, ginger and green pepper, cook on medium high heat.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Dal and Kidney beans should be soft and tender.
- Lightly mash the dal and kidney beans, cook for another 5 minutes on low medium heat.
- Add cream, garam masala, and amchoor powder and let it cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- Heat the ghee in a small saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away the oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds, and as the cumin seeds crack add asafetida, red chilies and red chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Add 1 teaspoon of water to keep the spices from burning. Pour spiced ghee over dal.
- Garnish with shredded ginger.