Bhindi (Okra) saute with spices is a delicious main course vegetable dish.
- 1/2 lb okra (bhindi)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- Wash the okra and pat dry. Make sure to completely dry the okra as wet okra will be sticky when cutting.
- Cut off the both ends of the okra, and slice lengthwise in halves. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cummin seed to the oil; if seed crack right away oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds and asafetida (hing). When the cumin seeds crack, add the okra.
- Stir for a minute and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover the okra for two to three minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the coriander powder, red cayenne pepper and turmeric.
- Next add gram flour (besan) and continue to stir-fry until the okra is tender. Add the salt, mango powder and bell peppers, cook for another minute. Salt is added last to avoid the okra becoming lacy.
- Adding colorful bell pepper is a great garnish for the okra and adds flavor to the dish.
- You can substitute the bell pepper with sliced tomatoes as a garnish.
- You can also slice the okra in 1/4 inch pieces and follow the same method above.