Kheer is an Indian version of rice pudding cooked with milk and sugar, flavored with nuts and saffron.
Recipe serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup rice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar (adjust to taste)
- 6 strands of saffron
- Pinch of crushed cardamom
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sliced pistachios
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Use a non-stick frying pan to make kheer.
- Wash rice, changing water until the water appears clear.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, cook until the rice is tender and the milk is creamy and reduced to about half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom, almonds and pistachios and let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- As kheer cools of will become thicker in texture.
- Kheer can be served chilled or warm.
- Saffron, almonds and pistachios are optional in this recipe.
- Instead of rice, make the kheer using only almonds and pistachios and flavor with cardamom and saffron.
- Rice can be replaced with Vermicelli.
If you will be serving chilled add 1 teaspoon of extra sugar