Potato Curry with Yogurt Gravy

March 6th, 2007 filed under Gluten Free, Vegetables Curry / Gravy

This recipe consists of potatoes combined with a creamy yogurt gravy. Tastes great with puris.

Serves 4

Potato Curry with Yogurt Gravy Recipe by ManjulaIngredients

• 2 large boiled potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
  • Pinch of asafetida (hing)
  • 2 teaspoons besan (gram flour)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 tablespoons yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
  • 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
  • 1 1/2 cups of water

Method

1. Boil the potatoes until they are tender.
  2. Peel and cut them in bite size pieces.
  3. Mix the yogurt, ginger, green chilies, turmeric powder, coriander powder and paprika into a paste.
  4. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
  5. Add the cumin seeds and asafetida. After the cumin seeds crack, add the bay leaf and besan (gram flour). Stir for about half a minute until the besan (gram flour) is golden-brown.
  6. Add the yogurt paste and stir-fry for about 2 minutes on medium heat until the paste starts leaving the oil from the sides.
  7. Add the potatoes and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Add about one cup of water. After the gravy boils, let it cook on low-medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust the water in gravy to your liking.
  9. Add the cilantro and salt and continue to cook for a few minutes. Serve with any kind of bread.

Suggestions

Use variety of vegetables, such as green peas, carrots, and cauliflowers, as a substitute for the potatoes. The recipe for the gravy remains the same.

If you enjoyed the recipe for Potato Curry with Yogurt Gravy, here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

86 Responses to “Potato Curry with Yogurt Gravy”

1. […] Potato Curry | Majulaskitchen.com […]

2. Petra says:

I used green beans instead of the potatoes and it turned out fantastic, next time I’ll try the potatoes or maybe cauliflower. Thank you!

3. Nirja says:

Hi,
    You didn’t use bay leaves.

4. RaNo says:

You can 1Tbsp Sour Cream for some richness ….

5. C Matt says:

This is a nice dish but I fry the chilies, ginger and spices except for the coriander and cumin- I dry roast the cumin seeds. I also lightly fry the besan flour with the spices and add a little to the yogurt/whey or water mixture. I use fresh whey instead of water. You could also add some yellow mustard powder and use black mustard seeds instead of cumin seeds or both if you like. I added some curry leaves when frying as well, with or without the bay leaf is okay. Flavourful and simple dish to make. Thank you!

6. mcm29 says:

This aloo dish is delicious and the step-by-step instructions were better than any cooking television show! Thanks so much for helping a less gifted chef (me) ! :)

7. Dhaval says:

I tried this recipe yesterday. It turned out to be really good! I used mixed veg along with potatoes. And also added some minced garlic to the tadka. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

8. Sana says:

Hi
    I tried it out …really very yummy …although i waslavking chilies and dhanya…still very tasty.

9. Jennifer Burch says:

I have enjoyed watching several of your very well organized and straightforward videos. It is such a pleasure to listen to your voice and in this way learn more about Indian cuisine.
    The potato curry in yogurt gravy is a great recipe to be able to share with my friends. Thank you for your wonderful presentations!