Puri, Indian Puffed Flat Bread

February 25th, 2007 filed under Breads, Vegan

Puri is whole wheat fried bread, made on special occasions. Especially popular with children.

Makes 8.

Puri (Flat Bread) Recipe by ManjulaIngredients:

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup water (lukewarm) use as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • Oil to deep fry

Method

1. Mix whole-wheat flour and salt. Add water as needed to make firm dough. Oil your palm and knead the dough until it is pliable. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set it aside to rest at least ten minutes.
  2. Divide the dough in eight equal parts. Form these into smooth balls, rolling the dough between your greased plams.
  3. Roll the dough balls into seven inch circles. If the
    dough sticks to the rolling pin or rolling surface, put a drop of oil on the rolling pin and on the rolling surface. Roll four or five puris before you start frying. Do not roll all the puris at once, as they will dry out and fail to puff.
  4. Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over
    medium high heat.  When the oil is moderately hot, a small piece of dough dropped into the oil will float immediately to the top.
  5. Place one puri at a time in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer. The puris should puff up right away. Turn the puris over. Puri
    should be light creamy brown on both sides. Take the puris out and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
  6. Serve puri hot or store in covered container after they cool to room temperature.

Tips

Do not roll the puris on a floured surface. If it seems that you need to flour the surface that is an indication that the dough is too moist. In this case, put a drop of oil on the surface and on the rolling pin.

If the oil is not hot enough, the puris will not puff and will be greasy.

Variations

Add your choice of spices or one or more dry herbs to the flour when making dough. Red pepper flakes, asafetida, dry mint leaves, dry fenugreek leaves, or any other dry herb can be used.

If you enjoyed the recipe for Puri, Indian Puffed Flat Bread, here are more great recipes you should try from Manjula's Kitchen.

59 Responses to “Puri, Indian Puffed Flat Bread”

1. jyothi naren says:

plz tell me,whichflour will be better for puri???wheatflour or maida???becoz whenever i try with wheatflour…puri will be of too much oil….!!!!

2. [...] Het laatste dat ik gisteren maakte was puri. Puri is een indisch gefrituurd brood. Wederom een recept van Manjula. Het filmpje vinden jullie hier. [...]

3. Reni says:

Manjula, can you please tell me how long i can store the puris in a airtight container?

4. Nidhi says:

I hadn’t tried making puris for a very long time due to past failed attempts.
    Thank you for the recipe, it was easy to follow and came out very well(soft and puffed).
    I got many compliments from my husband and daughter !!
    Now I feel confident of making puris for guests as well :)
    My heartfelt appreciations for your cooking skills!

5. Erin says:

This is probably the easiest and best tasting fried bread recipe I’ve ever made! I used wheat flour that I freshly milled and I used coconut oil to fry the bread in. So tasty!!!! My kids gobbled them all up. Thank you for the recipe :)

6. anisa says:

can i use white mayda?

7. Jaya says:

Manjula aunty, how do you manage to flatten the dough without patting it on some loose flour? When I try it, it just sticks to the chakla as well as the belan. Is there a trick I don’t know?

8. Anne says:

Tina, it’s called steam leavening and it happens when the liquid in the dough heats up.

9. Jenni says:

Tina they don’t really rise like yeasted breads, the puff up in the hot oil because they fill with air. They do deflate slowly once out of the oil so should be served straight away, otherwise they become baasi poori and are taken on journeys.

10. Tina Huckabay says:

Can you please tell me how your flat bread rises with no bakeing powder or yeast in the reciepe? Thanks Tina

• Namrata says:

Hi Tina,

Baking powder is not added here, when u flatten the dough to thick break like and fry it in a hot oil, the air between the dough rises the puri to be puffed.

Thanks,